Step 1 - Open the AWS Systems Manager Console
- Once you’ve gained access to the AWS Management Console for the lab, double check the region is correct and the TeamRole is selected.
- In the services search bar, search for Systems Manager and click on it to open the AWS Systems Manager section of the AWS Management Console.
- In the AWS Systems Manager console, select Session Manager on the left side.
- Choose “Start session” to launch a shell session.
- Click the radio button to select the EC2 instance for the lab. If you see no instance, wait a few minutes and then click refresh. Wait until the ec2 instance beginning with name ‘mod-xxxx…’ is available before continuing.
- Select start session.
- In the new black shell, switch to the ec2-user account by running
sudo su - ec2-user
shopt login_shell and be sure it says
login_shell on. Then, change into the workshop directory to begin:
#Verify login_shell is 'on'
#Change into the workshop directory
The output of your commands in the Session Manager session should look like the following:
sh-4.2$ sudo su - ec2-user
[ec2-user@ip-172-31-24-0 ~]$ #Verify login_shell is 'on'
[ec2-user@ip-172-31-24-0 ~]$ shopt login_shell
[ec2-user@ip-172-31-24-0 ~]$ #Change into the workshop directory
[ec2-user@ip-172-31-24-0 ~]$ cd ~/workshop