Retail Cart References
How to tackle this challenge
What are the access patterns?
The access patterns in the scenario are:
- Insert and update items placed in a cart by users.
- Return items related to a user (AccountID), sorted by CreateTimestamp, and scoped to a specific Status.
- Return items across user by ItemSKU, sorted by CreateTimestamp, and scoped to a specific Status.
- Offline ad hoc queries for Business Intelligence team.
Identify possible partition keys to fulfill the primary access pattern:
- What item attribute scales in volume along with higher access?
- What is a natural organization for the related data items (so as to return collected items relative to the access patterns above)?
- Consider the dimension of access: both reads and writes.
When determining how to organize items related to the primary access pattern:
- What organization needs to be written to return items in sorted order (sort by)?
- What is the hierarchy of the relationships (most general to more specific)?
Fulfilling the second and third access patterns:
- The second access pattern is an OLTP access pattern and can be modeled directly in DynamoDB
- The third access pattern is OLAP and does not need to be fulfilled directly on DynamoDB
Given the above, see below for some helpful references.